November 16, 2017

Spring Break 2017 - Cumberland Falls Kentucky

This year it just so happened that Marley was on spring break the same time Mike was scheduled for a week off work. We decided to take a little trip. We didn't want to go to far and Mike's not big on touristy places so we settled on Cumberland Falls Kentucky. It was about a 6 hour drive which wasn't awful and the kids did great in the car so that helped. We went down on Wednesday and came home Friday night. We were also going electronics free. No video games, no tablets, no facebook, no movies. We did have our phones to take pictures and in case of emergency though.

We rented a super small cabin at Sheltowee Trace Adventure Park which is about 5 miles from the falls. Sheltowee is a campground that has RV sites, tent sites and several cabins. Since it was off season and we went during the week, there was 6 other people there besides us which was awesome. Our tiny one room cabin fit us perfectly and was so stinkin' cute! It had bunkbeds, a full size bed, and a countertop with a microwave. That was it. The bath house was a minute walk away.

We arrived on Wednesday afternoon and checked in. Within 30 minutes of being there, maybe even less, Marley was already asking if we could come back next year. That made me so happy. I thought for sure she would be complaining because we were going electronics free. The kids actually didn't ask to use electronics one time. They played outside when we weren't doing other things and at night they read books and we played games.

On Thursday morning we headed to Cumberland Falls. I had no idea it was so big. I've never seen a waterfall like that. I am used to small ones from a small creek. This was massive compared to what I've seen before. We walked around the falls a bit before heading to the other side to do the trail to Eagle Falls. It took us a few hours to hike to the falls and back but it was an easy hike and the kids enjoyed it. After that we headed back to the cabin and loaded up the kayaks and headed to the Cumberland River so Mike and Marley could do some kayaking while the boys took naps and I read a book. Finding the spot to put the kayaks in the river was quite an adventure. First I backed into a tree when leaving the cabin. Then we drove around for maybe an hour looking for the spot to load them in. Asked a couple locals and they had no idea where the place was that we were talking about, but we finally found it. We drove past it several times and just overlooked it apparently.  They went off down the river and I drove to the pick up spot and waited.... and waited... and waited. About 2 hours later I had to go to a different spot and pick them up because it was taking way to long to get where I was waiting.  We loaded back up and headed back to the cabin. I made dinner while Mike and the kids flew the drone around. They did that for a while until the wind caught the drone and took it up into a tree and that was the end of the drone. It was getting dark and it was up about 50 feet so the drone is gone forever.

Friday morning we loaded up to drive home. We took a different way home so we could stop in Burkesville where I have family and my grandpa's old family farm is.  We made it there and stopped to collect some bombshell rocks as we call them. Then we continued on our way home. We stopped to pick up our dog on the way and made it home right at bed time.

It was a short trip, but one of the best ones we taken honestly. It was nice to just relax and unplug for a few days.  We will most likely take other little trips like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment